Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Cute Clipboards!

I made these clipboards today after having pinned them on Pinterest for months. I can't claim that these were my idea, but they sure were easy! Here's how I did it....

Went to Hobby Lobby and bought:
Mod Podge (matte variety)
12x12 Scrapbook Paper - NO CARDSTOCK (it bubbles really bad!)
Thin, matching ribbon (each single ribbon is about 7" long after it is cut)
Foam brushes (one fat and one skinny)


Went to Walmart and bought:
wooden clipboards (with the long clip, not the circular clip up top)

Had at home:
Ruler
Pushpin or Exacto Knife
Corner Rounder (scrapbooking accessory)



 I measured the paper to fit the clipboard, leaving about a 1/4 inch of the clipboard exposed.

 
I also cut out part of the top of the scrapbook paper to make room for the clip at the top.




 I then rounded the corners with the Corner Rounder (or you can very carefully round them yourself if you're cool with that).



 I then put the paper aside, and using the foam brushes, I applied a thin layer of Mod Podge starting at the top of the clipboard. I brushed from top to bottom. After the entire board was covered, I used the pushpin or Exacto Knife to carefully poke a tiny hole if I saw an air bubble. You can also use your hands and fingers to smooth the air bubbles out as well. I let it dry for about an hour. After an hour was up, I applied a small letter C (for Christi :) to the bottom left hand corner with a tiny bit of regular glue. My mom cut this letter out with her new Cricut. :)


I then applied another coat to the entire board, including the letter, and watched for bubbles again. I fixed any I saw with the Exacto knife, and I let it dry. I then gave it a THIRD coat and let it dry before I put on the ribbons!

After the mod podge dried, I tied a double knot with the ribbon on the clip, and lightly curled the edges. You might also want to cut the ends diagonally to help with fraying. I did this with the entire roll of ribbon I bought (3/8') @ 15 feet.

It was SO MUCH FUN! I must give a shout out to The Frugal Girls for the idea and the directions!

The finished product!
Thanks for reading, and as always, I'd love for you to follow me! Click the "Follow Me" button at the top right hand corner next to my post title, "Cute Clipboards!"

-Christi 




29 comments:

  1. Your clipboards turned out super cute!!! You should link them up on my Made It Monday linky tomorrow:) I host one every Monday for teachers to show what they are making this summer. It's lots of fun:))

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara! Actually, I started looking at Make It Mondays a week or two ago. I actually decided to take pictures and post it there this coming Monday! Looking forward to it! :)

      Christi

      Delete
  2. Came over here because of the math book study (not doing, just stalking :) and saw these cute clipboards. What a terrific idea! They turned out adorable.
    Following you,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara! I'm about to come over your way and stalk your blog too :)

      Christi

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love your clipboards! This is on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These turned out so cute! Thanks for linking up:) Hope you come back;))

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out so pretty! I didn't have the patience to do mine with paper (used duck tape instead), but I love the look. I'm a new follower of your blog.

    Julie
    Math is Elementary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made mine with duct tape as well. Yours came out so cute! Would love for you to stop by my blog sometime!

    Brandi
    Success in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. They came out adorable. Apparently now I need to invest in a corner rounder. My list keeps getting longer and longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your clip is so bright and cheerful! I want to make one, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your clipboards look fabulous!! I LOVE them!
    Nicole
    Rowdy in Room 300

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you, Teri! I am a follower of yours now as well. The crayon art tured out GORGEOUS, and I'm gonna have to try it out! Stay tuned! Haha!

      Thanks again!
      Christi

      Delete
  11. Those are adorable! I think if I tried it would be a complete mess! =)

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to come visit me when you get the chance.


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Heather! I LOVE your monster freebie - my sister is doing a monster theme in her classroom, and I'm directing her your way. And, I LOVE LOVE your blog design. Super cute. Thanks again!
      Christi

      Delete
  12. Very cute! I love the name of your blog. I'm a new follower!
    ann
    The Caffeinated Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following, Ann! I am a new follower of the Caffeinated Classroom as well. I like the "balancing life" slant you've put on your blog. That's really important! Thanks again!
      Christi

      Delete
  13. Love your clipboards they turned out so cute! I just moved to fourth grade this year and I will have to make some of these for my students!! Thanks for the cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a new follower of yours as well! Love the picture books you've put together. I've been thinking about printing out a lot of pictures since 99% of them are digital! Thanks for the idea :)
      Christi

      Delete
  14. These turned out great!! I want to make clipboards after seeing so many posts on them :) I'm a new follower.

    Katie
    Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! I showed you some love over at Dirty Hands - what a cute blog! Thanks for following :)
      Christi

      Delete
  15. I made clipboards to using pretty much the same method as you did. It was so easy, wasn't it?! I like your idea of the ribbon on the clip, super cute! I am your newest follower.
    :) Dana
    Stop by & visit me @ Fun in 1st Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see that you are a fairly new blogger- I am featuring one new blogger every Tuesday. Check out my newest post for more info!
      Stop by & visit me @ Fun in 1st Grade

      Delete
    2. I saw your clipboard collection! It was fabulous. You're getting me thinking that I need to do a set for my classroom! (without the ribbon I think! :) Curses! :)

      I am a new follower of yours! Thanks for stopping by! :)
      Christi

      Delete
  16. I definitely need to try out Mod Podge.
    ~April Walker
    The Idea Backpack
    Ideabackpack@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brimming with grand and virtuosic words.
    brother cartridge

    ReplyDelete